Friday, January 8, 2010

Late to the game but I am in it!

I have enrolled myself in social media boot camp! My new mantra? "Be Curious"! (not "bi-curious" but BE CURIOUS... when you say it out loud people sometimes mishear you. Sort of like when you tell someone you went to a "tapas bar", and they ask... you went to a "topless bar?").

I recognize that my current status as a "consultant" allows me more time to be curious but I vow that I will try to maintain the mantra no matter how busy things might get! I work in the beauty and fashion industry but my specialty is Internet Marketing within those industries. When I look back at the past 5-6 years I can recognize that there were times when I was so focused on the products we were marketing, that I became less involved in what was happening within the Internet industry. I would concede that I had a top line awareness of trends, what was "hot", etc. but not enough knowledge to really make strategic decisions on incorporating the newest new media tools within our new media strategy. Basically I was so busy trying to launch websites and maintain them that I didn't reserve any energy to remain curious except if something could specifically help me immediately! And when I say "help me", I mean make my job easier, not more complicated.

I realize now that what at first might feel "complicated" is really an initial (and common) reaction to change. I have a phobia of math. I cannot remember ever being good at math or feeling like I understood anything beyond basic algebra. Even now if something looks math related, like managing my 401K, I feel anxious and unable to comprehend the information. But if I approach the info with an attitude of curiosity, I bet that I would learn at least one new thing that might help the performance of my plan. The same goes for how some people react to using new media, social media, etc... it does seem complicated at first because it's new and different, it's easier to dismiss it than to actually learn about it.
Today I am a tweeter, a blogger, a facebooker, I am linkedin, etc. Tomorrow who knows what I might be... 

I want to share this great article I found through following Mashable's Twitter feed, it's going to help me look like an "expert" at a very important meeting I have on Tuesday! Social Media and Fashion





1 comment: